Via Media Release
The first instalment of Behind The Shaper heroes 12 well-known and underground shapers from Victoria’s iconic Surf Coast, a birthplace of surfing culture, industry and craftsmanship regarded around the world:
- Banjo Harfield (Banjo Surfboards)
- Corey Graham (Corey Graham Shapes)
- Cory Russell (Cory Surfboards)
- Eiji Shiomoto (Eiji Surf Designs)
- Jack Dell-Rennie (Beige Surfboards
- John Robertson (Strapper Surf)
- Luca Rossi (Babel Surfboards)
- Marcus Hyett (Hydro Theory)
- Michael van der Klooster (Vanda Surf)
- Ross Slaven (Slaven Surfboards, previously Brute Force)
- Shyama Buttonshaw (Shyama Designs)
- Zak Koniaras (Zak Surfboards)
What started out as a small project quickly ballooned into a 80 page magazine with photography by @edsloanephoto, a web and social content series, a 6 episode podcast mini-series by @lippedpodcast, and the construction of custom surfboards to be ridden by the shapers in URBNSURF Melbourne’s lagoon later in 2019.
This 80-page, A4-sized zine is jam-packed full of tall tales from 12 local, highly-respected shapers from Victoria’s iconic Surf Coast. Inside you’ll find exclusive interviews, insights and never-before-seen photos of these 12 craftsmen, in their element. We’ll deep dive into their lives, motivations, experiences, and how they see the future of shaping. There’s also plenty of talk regarding the next chapter of modern surfing – wave pools – and shaping the perfect board for the URBNSURF Melbourne lagoon.
You can pre order the magazine here.
To bring the stories of these 12 legends to life, we’re holding a gallery exhibition on May 24th at 524 Flinders St, Melbourne. Supported by @nobleboybeer, the event will feature portraits, interviews and boards by the shapers, live music by local DJs, and more.
As part of our Behind The Shaper series, we’ll be releasing our full-length video that celebrates the shapers this Wednesday, May 22nd, ahead of our gallery exhibition in Melbourne at 524 Flinders this Friday, May 24th from 5-11pm (event details here, tickets here).
Go here for a little teaser