Sport Development Manager
Surfing Australia Head Office / High Performance Centre, Casuarina NSW
About Surfing Australia
Surfing Australia is a National Sporting Organisation for surfing (including short board, long board, stand up paddle boarding and bodyboarding) that was formed in 1963 to establish, guide and promote the development of surfing in Australia. The organisation is the link to international surfing pathways including the International Surfing Association and operates in a federated model with 6 State associations. Surfing is a newly appointed Olympic sport, aiming for success in Tokyo 2020.
The organisation’s purpose is to create a happier and healthier Australia, through surfing. Its vision is to be one of Australia’s most loved and viable sports creating authentic heroes and champions.
Real– We live the surfing lifestyle and we share the stoke
Respectful– We appreciate our community and celebrate our history and culture
Progressive– We embrace change and innovate
About the role
Australia has a vast workforce & network supporting surfers of all ages and abilities, including more than 3000 coaches, 500 judges, event officials and administrators. This collective workforce is responsible for supporting over 250,000 surfers each year through learn to surf programs right through to elite programs and World Tour events. Surfing Australia is considered a global leader in the education and support of the surfing workforce, particularly in the areas of coaching and judging, the resources for which are delivered world-wide in partnership with the International Surfing Federation.
Surfing Australia has created this newly established position to provide meaningful systems and processes to enable, support and incentivise this workforce to deliver exceptional surf coaching, judging, participant experiences and pathways. The Learning & Development Manager will be responsible for establishing and maintaining insights into the workforce and industry and planning for its support and growth. They will work in conjunction with technical advisors in areas including coaching, judging, business administration and more, to deliver support, education and performance programs. As such, this role will be instrumental in improving the collective recruitment, development and engagement of the surfing workforce in Australia and in raising the bar of surfing experiences nationally. They will also drive the development of platforms to achieve this globally.
About the applicant
In this newly created position, the successful applicant will be a visionary for the future support, development and growth of coaches, judges and the wider support network. They will bring contemporary and progressive thinking about how to create meaningful change in community support roles, combined with the knowhow and marketing skills to drive, scale and sell support packages to a vast audience and network. They will ideally have experience in the delivery of online learning programs. They will be an outstanding team contributor, accustomed to operating in fast-paced, high pressure environments and passionate about creating a happier and healthier Australia, through surfing.
- Best practice project management skills with a proven ability to drive projects to completion within budget and agreed timeframes;
- Ability to establish priorities and manage competing deadlines;
- Ability to think creatively, strategically and laterally with highly developed problem-solving skills and an ability to manage a high degree of project complexity;
- Understanding of contemporary user journeys & target setting;
- Digital knowledge with experience in designing solutions for a modern marketplace;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with particular emphasis in the areas of writing strategies and reports;
- A growth mindset, with a willingness and ability to continually upskill and innovate;
- Appreciation and understanding of risk management and business process;
- A passion for surfing, understanding the surf industry and the needs and culture of surfers;
- Ability to manage complex projects across multiple business units and organisations; and
- Ability to drive meaningful and high impact community consultation processes.
The role is based in our Head Office / High Performance Centre in Casuarina, NSW and may require some weekend work and occasional domestic travel.
Applications close at 5pm Sunday the 5thof May 2019. In your cover letter, include an explanation of why your experience is specifically relevant to this role and why this is your next career move. Please direct all queries to firstname.lastname@example.org